Sunday 1 April 2007

The Micawber Principle

My Gran often jokingly refers to the "Micawber Principle" and wonders how both her and I always manage to be on the wrong side of it. For those who aren't familiar with this principle it is based upon an observation by Micawber (the Dickensian character) which cites,
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
Never has this principle made more sense to me than it has over the last few days. Of course any of you who have bought a house understand immediately what I mean, but oh the shock ;-)

Oh course not only does everything cost far more money than you ever realized during the innocent days when you wandered round furniture shops critically eying the cheapie furniture - oh that I could afford that cheapie furniture now! But what I truly didn't realise is how much of this investigation requires some kind of PHD level of knowledge which I currently don't possess. Maybe there is a secret handshake in the world of retail parks that I missed out on. But what I wouldn't give to know the actual price of the items I want to purchase. That is the actual cost, to me, to end up with that fridge, sofa or flooring in my home - not the pretend cost advertised in the shop before the delivery, fitting and extra widgets are counted in!

Oh this is fun ;-)

No comments: